This recipe is the best reason to finally use that popsicle mold you bought last year.
It’s summer, and that means one thing: You should be eating—and drinking—watermelon. (Catch up with these fun watermelon meal ideas and refreshing watermelon drink recipes.) If you didn’t already figure it out by its name, everyone’s favorite picnic staple is mostly water—somewhere around 92 percent of each fruit, actually. But there’s still room for a lot of good-for-you nutrients such as vitamins A and C. It even has a tiny bit of potassium.
The sad news, though, is that you don’t have very long to eat it, since peak watermelon season is between May and September. That means you’ve got just a few more months to get creative and enjoy it in as many ways as possible.
Here’s one way that’ll allow you to get your watermelon fix and some healthy dark chocolate, too. These popsicles are a fabulous after-dinner snack that basically taste like summer. They’d also make a stunning addition to any alfresco dinner party, and they’re bound to be a hit with kids.
Oh, and the chocolate drizzle is super easy to make. The addition of coconut oil turns what would be plain-old chocolate sauce into something like the crunchy “Magic Shell” syrup you probably remember from your childhood. When it hits the frozen exterior of the popsicle, it’ll harden almost instantly. (If you want some icy treats with a boozy twist, try these alcoholic slushies to help you really chill out during the warm weather.)
What are you waiting for? Grab a popsicle mold, a watermelon, and a bar of your favorite dark chocolate, and get to freezing.
Dark Chocolate Watermelon Popsicles
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
- 1 pound watermelon, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (with at least 70% cocoa)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (measured when solid)
- Purée watermelon, honey, and lime juice in a blender. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze, at least 5 hours or overnight.
- When popsicles are almost set, make melted chocolate: Break chocolate into large chunks and place in a medium-size bowl. Add coconut oil and microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring the mixture and returning to the microwave until it reaches a thick, liquid-like consistency.
- Quickly remove popsicles from the molds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Continuing to work at a fast pace, use a spoon to drizzle chocolate sauce over the popsicles in a design of your liking. Return popsicles to the freezer on the pan to ensure that they stay hardened. Remove and enjoy whenever you’re in the mood for a healthy treat.