This new take on the classic Caprese replaces tomatoes with slices of sweet summer melon. Serve it with ciabatta as the centerpiece of a light lunch or brunch, or as a first course at dinner.
- 1/2 cantaloupe, honeydew or Galia melon, cut into wedges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, sliced if large
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Layer melon and mozzarella slices on a platter and tuck basil in between slices. Sprinkle with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.