I guess that almost everybody heard about switchel – drink. This is a very refreshing drink that dates from the 1700s. Mainly have been used by farmers to cool down them selves while they working on the fields during the hot days.
Now, switchel is very popular beverage and for sure there’s a good reason for it. Basically consist very helpful ingredients and has a healing abilities.
You can prepare this drink in every time of the year, switchel is delicious in any season.
- 1 ½ cup ginger, chopped.
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar.
- 1 cup maple syrup (or raw honey).
- ¾ cup lemon juice.
- 5-6 cups water.
- Fill a 2-quart saucepan 2/3 with water and add ginger.
- Bring water to a boil and allow ginger to boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let ginger steep for 20 minutes.
- In a 2-quart pitcher, add maple syrup, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Strain ginger as you are pouring into pitcher.
- Stir and mix all ingredients well.
- It can be served warm or on ice. Better to leave it too cool down on room temperature.
- Optional you can add more water to dilute if needed.
As you can see, easiest can not be to prepare this beverage. Another benefit is that you can serve it to your kids instead of industry juices. Finally: you can add some alcohol, like vodka or gin.