- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 carrot
- 1 sweet firm apple, such as Gala
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pure maple syrup, to taste
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the barley, raisins, and cinnamon. Return to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the carrot very finely, and core and cut the apple into 1/2-inch cubes. Stir the carrot and apple into the barley mixture, cover, and simmer until the barley and carrot are just tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Stir in the almond milk and simmer, uncovered, until creamy, about 5 minutes. Add maple syrup to taste. Remove cinnamon stick, divide among serving bowls, and add toppings.
Per serving: 130 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0.1 g sat. fat), 29 g carb., 5 g fiber, 3 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet